Thursday, January 2, 2014

An Intentional Year



I've decided to dub 2014 the year of intention. I want to live a more intentional, more engaged, less passive, less consumptive life.

Before the new year proceeds too much farther, I'll be removing the blog posts previous to this one to begin anew.

I started Dec. 31st with the idea of making New Year's resolutions, as so many do, but of course, a voice in my head condescendingly reminded me of just how many resolutions fail before January is half over. I contemplated that. I seriously considered throwing in the towel regarding goals for the new year. And then I thought, "Well, that's stupid. Goals are important. They give us direction."

I kept dragging my feet over the resolution thing, however, so, after consulting with my husband and receiving some sage advice, I decided to try a different tactic. For the year of 2014, I'll be setting monthly intentions, with definitive concrete steps and mini-goals to assist me in following through. Very few, if any, months will have "end goals," but each one will have a specific focus. And here is where the blog comes in. I want to write about my progress, to increase my mindfulness of my own choices and experiences, and recreate my habitual writing practice of yesteryear.

Mostly, all of these intentions will support the ultimate wish for embracing the present and living more fully, of being bold and hopeful and ridiculously enthusiastic about this life I'm so deeply grateful for.

In addition, expect to see my experiments with fledgling photography, which is my primary creative endeavor outside this blog. I have a DSLR for the first time, and I'm just loving playing with it and seeing what it can do.

This is going to be a brilliant year, but I don't plan to look too far ahead into it. It is the 2nd of January, and what do we have, except for today? So here's to embracing the present, and I hope you'll join me on my journey to live my most intentional year yet!




No comments:

Post a Comment