Friday, April 12, 2013

I Signed Up for My First 5K Today

On April 27th, I will run in the Wild Goose Chase 5K Fun Run to help raise money for a Wetlands Education Center here in Kansas.

This will be my first 5K.

I am excited and nervous.

Let me let you in on a little (not-so)secret: I'm not going to be able to run throughout the whole thing. I'm not quite there yet, but you know what? I got tired of putting off signing up for one, and I love the cause and scope of this one. So. Want to know where I'm currently at in my running?

My intervals are currently 4 minutes of running, 1 minute of walking. Tomorrow when I run, weather permitting, I will bump that up to 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking, which, hey, might just kill me. Kidding. We'll see. So, the way that I'm going, the best I can hope for is that two weeks from now I'm running 6 and 1 intervals, which means, depending on my speed, I'll run around 30+ minutes of the race and walk 5+. Not too damn shabby if I say so myself.

And you guys. Seriously. Who cares if I have to walk a bit because I'll be participating in my first 5K!!

I've been talking about doing this for years, and now I'm following through. Hu-zzah. :D

And. AND. Care to know what I'll be building up to from there?

...

A small town color run on June 1st!!!! That's right, a color run. Despite my English degree, I can't think of the words to describe how psyched I am that that is on the horizon.

In one running book I have, the author advises the reader to have a few races lined up at a time so that you're always working toward something. To that end, I have one last race to mention that I might give a go if the first two are as fun as I hope they'll be: a bigger city, official Color Run in September!

That's right, I just can't wait to have colored powder thrown at me while I run 3.2 miles. Seriously though. I CANNOT wait.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I'm revamping this blog. I'm not sure what my intentions are for it yet, but in the immediate future, if you're reading this, expect to hear about my adventures with my newest pair of New Balance running shoes.

Have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment